2 day ‘Sublime Sun Rises and Sets’ – 5am-8pm Sat-Sun 17-18 Oct 2015 – $850 pp
The Blue Mountains come alive during the golden hours. Gary has witnessed hundreds of awe inspiring sunrises and sunsets and knows the best ‘accessible’ places . A quick glance at his 150 hotspots guide will give an insight into his knowledge of the best locations at the best times. There are limited obvious sunrise and sunset locations due to the mostly south or north facing ridges in the main upper mountains but Gary will take you to two relatively unknown and two well known spots that will inspire and be great additions to your portfolio.
We will meet in Katoomba at 5am on the first morning and then go in one car to the first location. Gary will offer early morning instruction and we will shoot the dawn and sunrise. We will then go to Gary’s Training Gallery for a light breakfast and a look at the mornings images with some post-production training and instruction. This will be picked up after lunch with some detailed look at single frame, blended, HDR, panorama and other techniques to enhance your golden light images. Dropped back at your hotel to refresh and rest followed by a pick-up to go to the first sunset location. This will be followed by a group dinner and overall assessment of the first day and how the 2nd day will improve. The 2nd day follows the first in structure but the morning and early afternoon post production session will also look at our sunset images and how we can improve the capture later that day alongside our sunrise images from the morning. After the 2nd sunset we will have a quick dinner and assessment before dropping back at your hotel.
- Personal instruction from Gary in the field and in his Gary’ Training Gallery.
- Lunch and late afternoon snacks/drinks on both days.
- Transportation from your hotel to location and Gary’s Gallery Training room in single 4WD car. Cool drinks all day in 4WD.
- Use of laptops for post processing instruction if required.
- Workshop certificate and exposure of your best image (optional) on Gary’s social site/s
- Your Hotel or B&B is best booked for Friday to Sunday night to get the most out of this workshop.
Group Size: 4 max Cost: $850 per person.
In the event of less than 3 booked a full refund will be given to all.
PAYPAL DEPOSIT (secure your place) – Sublime Sun Rises and Sets Non-Refundable $100 Deposit
PAYPAL FULL (lock it in) – Sublime Sun Rises and Sets Full Amount $850 includes $100 non-refundable deposit
PAYPAL BALANCE (after deposit balance) –Sublime Sun Rises and Sets balance $750
Note: workshops will only take place with a minimum of 3 and maximum of 4 participants. The non-refundable deposits listed in each workshop are for those who book and pull out last minute. Full payment for workshops are due 3 weeks before the workshop date. Gary has full public liability insurance covering the group in Blue Mountains NP and his training gallery and all appropriate permissions prior to the workshop will have been setup with NSW NPWS office.
Pre-requisites for all workshops
- PASSION: It is inspiring to Gary and the other photographers if you have a great attitude and can make the best of whatever the weather throws at us or your expectations of the workshop. We will come away with great pictures regardless.
- BRING: A good quality hiking tripod and familiarity with using it.
- BRING: A decent quality DSLR or Mirrorless interchangeable lens camera and have a working knowledge of it.
- BRING: Two or three lenses. Suggest an ultra wide (14 to 20 ish), wide (24-35 ish) and medium telephoto (60-100 ish). Or combinations in zoom lenses.
- BRING: Filters. Any combination of – neutral density, 5 or 10 stops. Graduated neutral density 2 and/or 3 stops. Polarizer circular. It is not critical to have filters as we will explore blending and/or HDR techniques without using them.
- DO YOU: Have a moderate level of fitness and able to walk confidently on rocky terrain with camera equipment (this will vary on each workshop but call for information if in doubt).
- BRING: Comfortable hiking shoes, good camera back pack and waterproofs/warm clothes in case the weather goes south.
- READ: It is recommended that you orientate yourself with the mountains by reading my introduction post A Landscape Photographers Guide to Visiting the Blue Mountains Australia which helps break down the geography and refers to many of the locations we will be exploring.