1 day ‘Wild Waterfalls’. The Blue Mountains contain multitudes of waterfalls that flow virtually all year long. They are the life blood of the valleys and forests and Gary has captured most of them, several times over. This workshop will explore practical techniques in taming the large majestic multi-hundred foot falls such as Katoomba, Wentworth or Govetts through to the more delicate 5-20 ft falls around Lawson, Hazelbrook, Leura and Wentworth Falls. Depending on the rainfall prior to this workshop the visits will be to several as listed in Gary’s guide.
The workshop will begin with instruction in basic waterfall techniques in Gary’s Training Gallery followed by location one then a late morning review of shots. After lunch two different sets of falls and a final full two hour post production session and review. Note: Some waterfalls require a 40+ minute hike to reach on varying gradients so good fitness required.
- Day long personal instruction from Gary at location and in his Training Gallery.
- Lunch and late afternoon snacks/drinks will be provided. Cool drinks all day in 4WD
- Transportation from your hotel to location and Gary’s Training Gallery in a single 4WD car
- Use of laptops (if you don’t bring your own) with Lightroom and Photoshop for post processing and instruction.
- Workshop certificate and optional sharing of your best image of the day on Gary’s social site/s
Any questions please email Gary
Cost: $495 per person. In the event of only one booking on a workshop 1 week out, a full refund will be given or the participant moved to an agreed future workshop.
Sat 9 Jun 2018 ‘Wild Waterfalls Workshop’
Full amount $495
Sat 18 Aug 2018 ‘Wild Waterfalls Workshop’
Full amount $495
Sat 13 Oct 2018 ‘Wild Waterfalls Workshop’
Full amount $495
Note: workshops will only take place with a minimum of 2 and maximum of 3 participants so as much personal attention can be given to each photographer and we are more flexible in moving between locations. Full payment for workshops are due 2 weeks before the workshop date. Gary has full public liability insurance covering the group in Blue Mountains NP and his training gallery, an EcoPass for commercial workshops in the Blue Mountains so all appropriate permissions prior to the workshop will have been setup with NSW NPWS office.
Pre-requisites for all workshops
Note: photographers without all of the camera equipment below will be instructed in how to get the best out of what they have and see the advantage of extra equipment.
- PASSION: It is inspiring to Gary and the other photographers if you have a great attitude and can make the best of whatever the weather throws at us or your expectations of the workshop. We will come away with great pictures regardless.
- BRING: A good quality hiking tripod and a familiarity with using it.
- BRING: A decent quality DSLR or Mirrorless interchangeable lens camera and have a working knowledge of it.
- BRING: Two or three lenses. Suggest an ultra wide (14 to 20 ish), wide (24-35 ish) and medium telephoto (60-100 ish). Or combinations in zoom lenses.
- BRING: Filters. Any combination of – neutral density, 5 or 10 stops. Graduated neutral density 2 and/or 3 stops. Polarizer circular. It is not critical to have filters as we will explore blending and/or HDR techniques without using them.
- DO YOU: Have a moderate level of fitness and able to walk confidently on rocky terrain with camera equipment (this will vary on each workshop but call for information if in doubt).
- BRING: Comfortable hiking shoes, good camera back pack and waterproofs/warm clothes in case the weather goes south.
- READ: It is recommended that you orientate yourself with the mountains by reading my introduction post A Landscape Photographers Guide to Visiting the Blue Mountains Australia which helps break down the geography and refers to many of the locations we will be exploring.