PLEASE NOTE THIS WORKSHOP CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE BECAUSE OF THE ON-GOING FIRE SITUATION ACROSS THE GREATER GARDENS OF STONES AREA
Weekend 11/12 Jan 2020
Aimed at the enthusiastic and passionate photographer who wants to fine tune their skills in composition, chasing light, new location hunting and advanced techniques such as 360, fine processing and astro. The workshop will focus on amazing locations that are off grid so to speak, away from the normal car park tourist lookouts alongside work will be on voice and storytelling – the best ways to personally express the wonderful landscape of the Blue Mountains.
Gary has been exploring and documenting the more accessible photo hotspots since 2003 when he first ventured into the mountains. There are over 100 spots where most visiting and local photographers regularly shoot but there are many more only explored by a few. Although less travelled photo locations in themselves are not going to produce great landscape images, Gary has picked ones for the advanced photographer that are as good if not better than the more popular locations.
This two day workshop will explore excellent photographic vistas outside of the main Jamison Valley and venture into the Capertee, Wolgan, hidden Grose, Gardens of Stone, Newnes Plateau, Ben Bullen State Forest and Wollemi regions and offer the keen photographer something a little different but still with that ‘wow’ factor.
We will begin at Gary’s Training Gallery on the first morning and study and agree on the areas to visit and explore (this will depend on how fit the group is). Some post production techniques will be discussed and demonstrated so we are all capturing good raw material when out and about. A few late morning and midday locations will be visited along with a special sunset spot. Returning in early evening we will assess each others work and do some post processing. You will then be taken to your overnight accommodation. (Camping overnight will be in the months from Sep-April for good sunrise, overnight astro and sunset opportunities).
A very early start and walk in the morning for a stunning sunrise location followed by more unique spots around the areas mentioned above and a final post processing and printing session – before returning to cars/hotel.
Note: potentially some river hiking, pagoda climbing, walks around 20-30 mins and some rocky walks will be required for this workshop depending on locations, also as we will be 4WD trailing and off normal track walking, weather may play a factor. A pre-workshop series of emails and chats will cover all of the likely requirements.
- Personal instruction from Gary in the field and in his Training Gallery.
- First day group lunch and dinner and all day snacks/drinks. Breakfast after dawn on 2nd day and lunch too
- Transportation from your hotel/vehicle to location and Gary’s Mt Victoria, Pulpit Rock Gallery in single 4WD car
- Use of laptops for post processing instruction if required.
- Workshop certificate and exposure of your best image (optional) on Gary’s social site/s
Cost: $895 per person. In the event of only one booking on a workshop 1 week out, a full refund will be given or the participant moved to an agreed future workshop.
Sat/Sun 24/25 Aug 2019 ‘Hidden Blue Mountains’ – SOLD OUT
- Full amount $895 (no Sat eve camping)
- ss 5.35pm sr 6.26am
- Workshop: Sat 9.30am-6.30pm Sun 5.30am-4pm
Sat/Sun 12/13 OCT 2019 ‘Hidden Blue Mountains’ – 1 of 3 places left
- Full amount $895 (incl: Sat eve camping)
- ss 7.09pm sr 6.20am
- Workshop times: Sat 10am-8pm Sun 5.30am-4pm
CANCELLED – Sat/Sun 11/12 Jan 2020 ‘Hidden Blue Mountains’
- Full amount $850 (incl: Sat eve camping)
- ss 8.13pm sr 6.00am
- Workshop times: Sat 10am-9pm Sun 5am-4pm
Note: workshops will only take place with a minimum of 2 and maximum of 3 participants so as much personal attention can be given to each photographer and we are more flexible in moving between locations. Gary has full public liability insurance covering the group in Blue Mountains NP and his training gallery, an EcoPass for commercial workshops in the Blue Mountains so all appropriate permissions prior to the workshop will have been setup with NSW NPWS office.
Pre-requisites for all workshops
Note: photographers without all of the camera equipment below will be instructed in how to get the best out of what they have and see the advantage of extra equipment.
- PASSION: It is inspiring to Gary and the other photographers if you have a great attitude and can make the best of whatever the weather throws at us or your expectations of the workshop. We will come away with great pictures regardless.
- BRING: A good quality hiking tripod and familiarity with using it.
- BRING: A decent quality DSLR or Mirrorless interchangeable lens camera and have a working knowledge of it.
- BRING: Two or three lenses. Suggest an ultra wide (14 to 20 ish), wide (24-35 ish) and medium telephoto (60-100 ish). Or combinations in zoom lenses.
- BRING: Filters. Any combination of – neutral density, 5 or 10 stops. Graduated neutral density 2 and/or 3 stops. Polarizer circular. It is not critical to have filters as we will explore blending and/or HDR techniques without using them.
- DO YOU: Have a moderate level of fitness and able to walk confidently on rocky terrain with camera equipment (this will vary on each workshop but call for information if in doubt).
- BRING: Comfortable hiking shoes, good camera back pack and waterproofs/warm clothes in case the weather goes south.READ: It is recommended that you orientate yourself with the mountains by reading my introduction post A Landscape Photographers Guide to Visiting the Blue Mountains Australia which helps break down the geography and refers to many of the locations we will be exploring.
Important! Please read before payment:
CANCELLED BECAUSE OF GARY:
It is rarely the case that Gary has to cancel a tour or workshop and this will either be due to 1) His illness 2) Location issues (eg: bush fires) 3) Personal emergency date clashes or 4) Very inappropriate weather forecast
If a workshop is cancelled the following will happen
- A new date will be discussed and set with all participants
- Participants moved to the next available similar workshop after discussion
- Participants moved to another type of workshop after discussion
- note: once a new date has been set above and the workshop goes ahead the rules below apply
- A full refund given to the participants in the event of total cancellation only
CANCELLED BECAUSE OF PARTICIPANT/S:
Sometimes circumstances mean a person cannot participate in a workshop or tour. Regardless of the reasons why they cannot make it, the workshop/tour will still go ahead without them and because of the difficulty in finding new participants or in the case of solo tours, losing the dates in short timeframe here is the refund policy, and cancellations must be requested via email. (note: to cover yourselves it is recommended you get travel / event insurance to cover any costs due to personal circumstances or emergencies).
Refund Policy … If YOU cancel
- 60 days or more you will receive a full refund, minus a $50 admin and PayPal fee
- 30-59 days you will receive 50% refund
- 29 days or less you will receive a 20% refund
- less than 5 days out, no refund