Fri eve 6pm to 2-3am … 19 Jun or 24 Jul or 21 Aug 2020
- Fri eve 19 June (booked out – 3) – moonset 3:25pm
- Fri eve 24 July (2 spots left) – moonset 9pm (15% illumination before)
- Fri eve 21 Aug (3 spots left) – moonset 8pm (6% illumination before)
The Blue Mountains are one of the first places out of Sydney where the ambient light ceases to be a major problem in astro photography. This workshop begins at 6pm with early evening instruction in night sky photography capture and processing techniques. This is followed by 3-4 exciting locations before and after included dinner to test wide field & milky way technical and creative ideas – we return to the training lab to process and see the results.
Around midnight we head off to base camp (if in season and one of four depending on conditions) and explore more nearby locations followed by some advanced techniques in deep sky, time-lapse, light painting and more. This will include general technical skills but also the artistic side which includes basics such as milky way as subject and backdrop, through to star trails and time-lapse as well as more advanced long exposure tracking using Gary’s portable unit/s. We will also look at balancing star exposures with artificially lit foregrounds. The camp (tba and if in season – ie: warm enough, not May-August) location will also be chosen for a great pre dawn night sky and we will also wake up for a hopefully spectacular sunrise followed by a camp breakfast (in season).
- Personal instruction from Gary in the field and in his Training Gallery.
- Group dinner and late evening snacks/drinks.
- Tents and sleeping bags provided through to dawn (if in season)
- Transportation from your hotel/vehicle to location and Gary’s Pulpit Rock Gallery Training room in one of two 4WD cars
- Use of laptops for post processing instruction if required.
- Workshop certificate (sent via mail) and exposure of your best image (optional) on Gary’s social site/s
Any questions please email Gary
Cost: $450 per person. In the event of only one booking on a workshop 1 week out, a full refund will be given or the participant moved to an agreed future workshop.
FRI NIGHT 19 JUNE 2020 ‘Starry Night Photo Workshop’ SOLD OUT
Full amount $450
FRI NIGHT 24 July 2020 ‘Starry Night Photo Workshop’
Full amount $450
FRI NIGHT 21 Aug 2020 ‘Starry Night Photo Workshop’
Full amount $450
Note: workshops will only take place with a minimum of 2 and maximum of 3 participants so as much personal attention can be given to each photographer and we are more flexible in moving between locations. Full payment for workshops are due 2 weeks before the workshop date. Gary has full public liability insurance covering the group in Blue Mountains NP and his training gallery, an EcoPass for commercial workshops in the Blue Mountains so all appropriate permissions prior to the workshop will have been setup with NSW NPWS office.
Pre-requisites for all workshops
Note: photographers without all of the camera equipment below will be instructed in how to get the best out of what they have and see the advantage of extra equipment.
- PASSION: It is inspiring to Gary and the other photographers if you have a great attitude and can make the best of whatever the weather throws at us or your expectations of the workshop. We will come away with great pictures regardless.
- BRING: A good quality hiking tripod and familiarity with using it.
- BRING: A decent quality DSLR or Mirrorless interchangeable lens camera and have a working knowledge of it.
- BRING: Two or three lenses. Suggest an ultra wide (14 to 20 ish), wide (24-35 ish) and medium telephoto (60-100 ish). Or combinations in zoom lenses.
- BRING: Filters. Any combination of – neutral density, 5 or 10 stops. Graduated neutral density 2 and/or 3 stops. Polarizer circular. It is not critical to have filters as we will explore blending and/or HDR techniques without using them.
- DO YOU: Have a moderate level of fitness and able to walk confidently on rocky terrain with camera equipment (this will vary on each workshop but call for information if in doubt).
- BRING: Comfortable hiking shoes, good camera back pack and waterproofs/warm clothes in case the weather goes south.
- READ: It is recommended that you orientate yourself with the mountains by reading my introduction post A Landscape Photographers Guide to Visiting the Blue Mountains Australia which helps break down the geography and refers to many of the locations we will be exploring.
Important! Please read before payment:
CANCELLED BECAUSE OF GARY:
It is rarely the case that Gary has to cancel a tour or workshop and this will either be due to 1) His illness 2) Location issues (eg: bush fires) 3) Personal emergency date clashes or 4) Very inappropriate weather forecast
If a workshop is cancelled the following will happen
- A new date will be discussed and set with all participants
- Participants moved to the next available similar workshop after discussion
- Participants moved to another type of workshop after discussion
- note: once a new date has been set above and the workshop goes ahead the rules below apply
- A full refund given to the participants in the event of total cancellation only
CANCELLED BECAUSE OF PARTICIPANT/S:
Sometimes circumstances mean a person cannot participate in a workshop or tour. Regardless of the reasons why they cannot make it, the workshop/tour will still go ahead without them and because of the difficulty in finding new participants or in the case of solo tours, losing the dates in short timeframe here is the refund policy, and cancellations must be requested via email. (note: to cover yourselves it is recommended you get travel / event insurance to cover any costs due to personal circumstances or emergencies).
Refund Policy … If YOU cancel
- 60 days or more you will receive a full refund, minus a $50 admin and PayPal fee
- 30-59 days you will receive 50% refund
- 29 days or less you will receive a 20% refund
- less than 5 days out, no refund