Fri eves 6pm-3am – Mar 17 or Apr 21 (full) or May 19 —
A workshop focused on capturing the wonderful Milky Way core and it’s interaction with foregrounds of the ‘earth’ but gives a taste of much more including trails, time-lapse, light painting and some deep sky tracking. The Blue Mountains are one of the first places out of Sydney where the ambient light ceases to be a major problem in astro photography. Focusing on Milky Way photography and other wide cosmos plus landscape work, his workshop begins at 6pm with early evening instruction in night sky photography capture and processing techniques. This is followed by 3-4 exciting locations before and after included dinner to test wide field & milky way technical and creative ideas – we return to the training lab to process and see the results.
Around midnight we head off to explore more nearby locations followed by some advanced techniques in deeper sky, time-lapse, light painting and more. This will include general technical skills but also the artistic side which includes basics such as milky way as subject and backdrop, through to star trails and time-lapse as well as more advanced long exposure tracking using Gary’s portable unit/s and specialist astrophotography scopes (with adapters for your Nikon, Canon or Sony). We will also look at balancing star exposures with artificially lit foregrounds.
- Personal instruction from Gary in the field and in his Training Gallery.
- Group dinner and late evening snacks/drinks.
- Transportation from your hotel/vehicle to location and Gary’s Pulpit Rock Gallery Training room in a comfortable 4WD Landrover
- Use of laptops for post processing instruction if required.
- Workshop certificate (sent via mail) and exposure of your best image (optional) on Gary’s social site/s
Any questions please email Gary
Please read the Cancellation Policy before booking …
FRI NIGHT 17 Mar 2023 ‘Starry Night Photo Workshop’
- Moonset 4:26pm Sunset 7:14pm MW Core rise midnight
Full amount $450
FRI NIGHT 21 Apr 2023 ‘Starry Night Photo Workshop’ (FULL)
- Moonset 6:04pm Sunset 5:29pm MW Core rise 10:00pm
Full amount $450
FRI NIGHT 19 May 2023 ‘Starry Night Photo Workshop’
- Moonset 4:36 Sunset 5:04pm MW Core rise 8:00pm
Full amount $450
Pre-requisites for all workshops
Note: photographers without all of the camera equipment below will be instructed in how to get the best out of what they have and see the advantage of extra equipment.
- PASSION: It is inspiring to Gary and the other photographers if you have a great attitude and can make the best of whatever the weather throws at us or your expectations of the workshop. We will come away with great pictures regardless.
- BRING: A good quality hiking tripod and familiarity with using it.
- BRING: A decent quality DSLR or Mirrorless interchangeable lens camera and have a working knowledge of it.
- BRING: Two or three lenses. Suggest an ultra wide (14 to 20 ish), wide (24-35 ish) and medium telephoto (60-100 ish). Or combinations in zoom lenses.
- BRING: Filters. Any combination of – neutral density, 5 or 10 stops. Graduated neutral density 2 and/or 3 stops. Polarizer circular. It is not critical to have filters as we will explore blending and/or HDR techniques without using them.
- DO YOU: Have a moderate level of fitness and able to walk confidently on rocky terrain with camera equipment (this will vary on each workshop but call for information if in doubt).
- BRING: Comfortable hiking shoes, good camera back pack and waterproofs/warm clothes in case the weather goes south.
- READ: It is recommended that you orientate yourself with the mountains by reading my introduction post A Landscape Photographers Guide to Visiting the Blue Mountains Australia which helps break down the geography and refers to many of the locations we will be exploring.