Winter & Spring Workshops 2018
Read what others say about Gary’s Workshops
Join renowned Blue Mountains based Aussie photographer and educator Gary P Hayes in a range of specialised workshops that offer something special to all levels of photographers visiting the Heritage listed Greater Blue Mountains. Gary has a full NSW Eco Parks License to run commercial tours and workshops and follows best practise. License No: LIC15/161
Gary’s Blue Mountain’s Photography Workshops are unique in that they integrate quality photo training in his purpose designed Training Gallery, on the edge of the escarpment in Mount Victoria, combined with many well known and lesser known photo locations in this amazing region. Based on the skill-set and needs of each 2-4 person group and one-on-ones, the locations and training sessions will be tailored for each team with everyone learning from each other and Gary will inspire with his passion for emotive landscape capture and mind’s eye post production.
Click the titles below for quick description or the image for detail and booking page.
Starry Night Astro PhotographyFri Night 10 August - FULL
Starry Night Astro PhotographyThu Night Sep 6 - FULL
Beginners Landscape WeekendSat/Sun 8/9 Sept - 1 Spot left
Hidden Blue Mountains Workshop15/16 Sept - 2 spots left
Processing LandscapesSat 29 Sep
Beginners Landscape WeekendSat/Sun 6/7 October
Wild Waterfalls WorkshopSat 13 Oct
Processing LandscapesSat 20 Oct
Aerial Drone PhotographySun 21 Oct
Wild Waterfalls WorkshopSat 10 Nov
Beginners Landscape WeekendSat/Sun 17/18 Nov
What participants have said…
– “Gary passed on information and techniques in a friendly, easy to understand manner and was both mindful and attentive to the various skill levels within the group”
– “Thanks to Gary’s assistance, I have come away from The Blue Mountains with a collection of photos that I am very pleased with.”
– “Thanks Gary, I can thoroughly recommend this workshop, learnt lots had fun and all very reasonable.”
– “As a result I walked away with images that I would not have been able to get on my own for sure”
– “Gary put the miles in to find the best vantage points for the conditions. Very knowledgeable and happy to pass it on”
– “Gary’s knowledge of the area is astounding as is his passion and knowledge for photography.”
– “From angles to leading lines, processing, he knows how to convey it to you also, thanks again”
– “I was very happy with the photography that I captured and I would highly recommend attending Gary’s workshops.”
Click here for more TESTIMONIALS in a new tab
Browse the workshops above and book your place by clicking the links. If you would like some more insight on the workshops Email Gary first.
All workshops will cover four primary areas photography in detail alongside each specialised theme:
- The Photographers Voice (pre-visualising, emotion & location research)
- Light and Composition (the anatomy of a great shot)
- Understanding Camera & Equipment as a Tool (technical)
- Basic Post Production Techniques (how to make your image shine)
Note: workshops will only take place with a minimum of 3 and maximum of 4 participants. In the event of less than 3 a full refund will be given to all or change of dates discussed. The non-refundable deposits listed in each workshop are only for those who pay a deposit only and pull out less than a week out.
Full payment for workshops are due 3 weeks before the workshop date. Gary has full public liability insurance covering the group in Blue Mountains NP and his training gallery and all appropriate permissions prior to the workshop will have been setup with NSW NPWS office.
Pre-requisites for all workshops
Note: photographers without all of the camera equipment below will be instructed in how to get the best out of what they have and see the advantage of extra equipment.
- PASSION: It is inspiring to Gary and the other photographers if you have a great attitude and can make the best of whatever the weather throws at us or your expectations of the workshop. We will come away with great pictures regardless.
- BRING: A good quality hiking tripod and familiarity with using it.
- BRING: A decent quality DSLR or Mirrorless interchangeable lens camera and have a working knowledge of it.
- BRING: Two or three lenses. Suggest an ultra wide (14 to 20 ish), wide (24-35 ish) and medium telephoto (60-100 ish). Or combinations in zoom lenses.
- OPTIONAL: Filters. Any combination of – neutral density, 5 or 10 stops. Graduated neutral density 2 and/or 3 stops. Polarizer circular. It is not critical to have filters as we will explore blending and/or HDR techniques without using them.
- DO YOU: Have a moderate level of fitness and able to walk confidently on rocky terrain with camera equipment (this will vary on each workshop but call for information if in doubt).
- BRING: Comfortable hiking shoes, good camera back pack and waterproofs/warm clothes in case the weather goes south.
- READ: It is recommended that you orientate yourself with the mountains by reading my introduction post A Landscape Photographers Guide to Visiting the Blue Mountains Australia which helps break down the geography and refers to many of the locations we will be exploring.